I have combination skin and I don’t always have good skin days, so I need a foundation that is accustomed to the days where my skin just doesn’t want to agree with me!
I’ve had a love/hate relationship with the MAC Studio Fix Fluid and after using the Estee Lauder Double wear, I can definitely say I will not be going back to this MAC foundation. Just as a disclaimer, I do love some of MAC’s products, like their lipsticks and their highlighters and blushes. BUT. This foundation… I don’t like so much.
I know a lot of people have this foundation as a staple in their makeup bag and I can see why…
- The foundation is full coverage and is buildable from medium to heavy.
- There is a large colour range, fit for all skin tones.
- The staying power is good-ish – can last up to 6 hours with a primer.
- Your skin will look amazingly flawless in photos!
However, there are reasons why I don’t like this foundation….
- In real life, with this foundation on, my skin did not look smooth, it was so noticeable that even my boyfriend pointed it out. Now, this can depend on how you apply this foundation and what your skin type is. I used a beauty blender. However, I felt this foundation emphasised all the dry patches and especially my pores around my nose and chin area, so I had to wear a pore minimising primer, but I had to wait for the primer to sink into my skin before I applied this foundation on, otherwise the foundation would move about and would haven’t settled. This is really inconvenient when I’m running late in the morning.
- This foundation started to oxidise and look cakey, my T-zone started oiling up, after the 7-hour mark (even with a primer). (When this happened I was so sad. I had such high hopes for this foundation, purely because everyone was raving about it.) I had to touch up a lot and continuously check my foundation which is something I don’t want to do when I’m running around London during the day.
- If you hate the feeling of having makeup on your skin, you’ll hate this foundation. I always have to careful not to touch my face because this foundation isn’t transfer-proof. For example, when I talk on the phone, my foundation will transfer onto the phone screen which is unhygienic and it’s one of the many reasons why we have acne on our jawline because our phone screens are not disinfected and clean.
- The texture is thick, not “fluid” at all, in my opinion. It’s not a foundation that will be easy to apply and blend flawlessly during those late mornings, so do be aware. The smell is also not pleasant, it actually smells of paint. urm, yeah… unfortunately, that’s the only subtle way I can describe it.
- This foundation also doesn’t come with a pump, like the Estee Lauder Double Wear, so do expect the mouth of the bottle to get really messy.
- It claims to be non-acnegenic, however, I have sensitive skin and I did break out a little, so keep in mind if you’re acne prone, this foundation may not help your skin.
This was my personal experience with this foundation, I did use it for a good 7 months. If it works for you, then great! I hope you still use it. Don’t let me throw you off, everyone has different skin types and unfortunately, this foundation wasn’t for me! 🙁
Hope you found this helpful! ^-^